Bienvenidos!

Welcome to my blog about experiences that have challenged, encouraged, and confused me. These are mere words that don't even come close to capturing the joy, pain, and laughter I have shared with extremely beautiful people.

Monday, January 31, 2011

Brief Thoughts on Egypt

As an Iowan, I thought it wasn't right that I had never seen the movie Field of Dreams. So, now as I sit here on my first official day of break, I am listening to a man accused of being crazy for following his dreams and constantly checking Twitter for updates on Egypt. I am rejoicing in the safe return of Augie band members from this land of protest, while thinking what I would give to be in Egypt right now. I am distracted by the ridiculousness of this old Kevin Costner movie, while admiring the man's sacrifice to follow the voices in his head.

So why this obsession over Egypt? I've never followed any news stories so much nor wished so badly that I had cable to follow the stories. There is something about the energy that must be involved in the protests and uprisings. Yes, people are being hurt, but that was never the goal. People are speaking out, shouting, and marching for what they want. I admire the passion of Mona Eltahawy, the New York columnist/blogger/tweeter born in Egypt who continues to declare these events the greatest thing that has ever happened in Egypt and in her life. Passion is contagious.

People realize that things in Egypt aren't right. The Egyptian government wasn't doing squat for its people, and people started speaking out about it. I see people joining together, fighting for what they believe in, and not stopping until justice happens. They are inspired by homelessness, hunger, lack of education, and each other. I am inspired by the photos, the protest footage, the tweets, and the stories. I am grateful that even in this messed up, cruel world, people still have hope and will still stand up for justice.

The newest tweet:

 Michael Skolnik 
 por monaeltahawy
As I lay my eyes to rest, I am rest assured that young peopla can change the world.  

No comments:

Post a Comment