Bienvenidos!

Welcome to my blog about experiences that have challenged, encouraged, and confused me. These are mere words that don't even come close to capturing the joy, pain, and laughter I have shared with extremely beautiful people.

Friday, October 1, 2010

Holy Ground

This past week has been heavy.  Not only are we discussing deep issues in our liberation theology class, but our "field-trips" and speakers complement all of our heavy themes. The word "martyr" is always in the air. On Tuesday we visited the church of Oscar Romero, former archbishop of El Salvador who was assassinated in 1980 for his speaking out against the repression and violence. I have acquired a huge admiration for Monseñor Romero. Everyone who speaks of him, speaks with a great respect and with so much passion. Monseñor Romero had the guts to speak out and people listened. He sacrificed himself for the liberation of his people. A famous quote of his: "If they kill me, I shall arise within the Salvadoran people."


I have also learned that in the year I was born, an unjust and bloody massacre occurred on the campus of a large university here in San Salvador. We visited the University of Central America, where in November of 1989, the lives of 6 Jesuit priests and 2 women were taken by members of the Salvadoran army. They attempted to make it seem like a guerrilla encounter, but the evidence shows no sign of that. These men had been working against the oppression and injustice, and became just a handful of the many who were killed in efforts against the injustice.


My words cannot even begin to express these things; these things are simply indescribable. The images, the words, the feelings. This country is suffering. I can see the pain in people's eyes. But I can also see hope. Our speaker at the Romero Center yesterday told us that the deaths of the Jesuits were not in vain and they did not necessarily discourage the people; they served as sources of hope. So much blood has been spilled, everywhere we go. The blood has left stains that are not forgotten.


This is holy ground.

1 comment:

  1. Han, I cant help but write on every blog cause your words are soooo sooo utterrrly touching! Praise the Lord for the ways He works, even if it be through death....

    ReplyDelete